Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Choosing the proper time to mail the Christmas cards

It may seem like a small thing. The obvious time to mail the Christmas cards is when you've had the time to do them. Since we only send to friends and family who are out of town, the number is limited. But I don't want to do it too soon.

What if they've moved? Then my card is returned and I don't find the proper addy until I receive their card and then it's more postage and a new envelope. That's providing we haven't been written off their list or our address of 34 years didn't get lost in their move. Or either of us still care what the other is doing.

Perhaps for some folks, FaceBook and email have replaced the traditional Christmas card. But I like cards. I collect all the photos in my album and watch my friends and their children grow old and up just as surely as they do me and mine. For many of us, this is the only connection of the year.

The second part is, who gets a letter and a photo with their card? And if I send one and all I get back is a signature on theirs? No news. No photos. Just an obligatory card. One more check mark off their list.

So it really is a cause of mild concern. For what it's worth, I have my letter written and on some there will be a handwritten note also. Photos are printed. I suppose by now that if we've cared enough to keep in touch all these years, a photo and a letter and a note will go in each card.

Maybe this weekend. It's supposed to be bad weather. Sounds like a good way to spend the afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home