Saturday, July 14, 2012

A bountiful summer

Whether it was the mild winter followed by the long spring or the splashes of rain we've continued to have, I don't know. What I do know is that we are awash in fresh fruits and vegetables.

At last!

While my cherries did not perform well, I reaped over 100 pounds of plums from one tree. Even my sad container-grown tomatoes have continued to supply us, albeit a small number. But those with large personal gardens or commercial pick-your-own enterprises have seen huge returns. We have been fortunate to be both given of the harvest and to have picked from it.

So far, I've "put by" 35 quarts of hot dill pickles, 8 small jars of green tomato mincemeat, 8 (or so) jars of green tomato relish, 8 pints of brandied peaches, 13 pints of picante, and 54 generous pints of frozen peaches. I think that's all. Canning can be a blur sometimes.

Notice: no jelly. I'm a bit "canned" out at the moment.

But with so much bounty, the competitive spirit has raised its head and I'll be entering the Foods Division of the State Fair. I've won ribbons before for the pickles and picante, but that was over 20 years ago.

I'll keep you informed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home