Saturday, January 01, 2011

2011 begins

Here's the ubiquitous "Happy New Year!" And I mean it. I hope we all have a happy 2011, happy being whatever, well, makes you happy. If 2010 wasn't so good for you, then may 2011 be much better.

2010 was a good year for us: we've traveled, made plans to travel more, been with our family. I survived a thyroidectomy with only a scar--and a lifelong prescription for Synthroid--to show for it.

And I've wondered about making a resolution. I've never been big on them, their life span being somewhat less than that of any feral cat I've rounded up, had spayed/neutered, given proper vaccinations, and then watched get hit by a car crossing the street or who decides to go walkabout on my nickel. In other words, I've shied from resolutions.

But I have thought of two though and I'm really, really, really going to work on one of them. Really.

First of all, I'm considering jumping into the Facebook pool. I had a "lesson" from a friend yesterday. I can see where this can be a huge time-waster and a lot of fun.

Second--and this is the one I'm serious about--I'm going to pay more attention to names. I've written down the names of every customer service person I've talked to on the phone for years, the time of the conversation, the problem, the outcome. I've had the feeling that if I have to call back with a further complaint, I could say: "But John told me on June 14 at 3:10 PM CDT, that my refund would be forthcoming!" Pause. "What do you mean you've never had someone named John work in your customer service?"

Maybe that won't happen.

But the names of people in other customer service jobs, those are the ones I'm going to pay attention to. "Hi, I'm John, and I'll be your waiter tonight." When I walk out of the restaurant (and know where John has a new job now that he's no longer employed above), I want to remember that John waited on us. Or Beverly sold me the dress. Or Mick did the tire exchange.

I'm going to pay attention. It's a resolution. And now, it's public.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home