Friday, December 17, 2010

24 Days of Ornaments: Dec the 17th



I am not an artist with the paint brush, no matter the medium. When we paint pumpkins at the library for our annual fall sale, I can base paint and fill in the colors. It takes my friend Carole and her narrow little brush to bring my creation to life.

But many years ago, I was under the delusion that perhaps I could learn to paint. Our beloved back neighbor Lucille was an artist, both in oils and on china. Bless her heart, she tried and tried with me. It finally came to the point that we were just visiting and I was fiddling with a brush while she went behind me and brought it to life.

One year, sensing my boredom, she suggested we paint Christmas ornaments. I bought a box of gold ones and attempted a scene on each, one for each of us, with a name "artfully" displayed on the other side. This is my husband's. You can see I chose not to balance the glass ball on the scanner bed and try for the scene on the other side.

But no matter how stiff my efforts, I love these ornaments because they remind me of Lucille.

In the meantime, I'll stick to painting with words. They are more easily edited.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home