Thursday, December 11, 2008

Starbucks' library

Each Tuesday I stop at my favorite on-the-way-out-of-town Starbucks. The store has been remodeled with comfy chairs and a few couches. It's very much a cozy place. And since every cozy place needs books, someone with a lot of foresight has provided a lending library shelf. Customers are encourage to take and return, take and replace. Just take.

This is, of course, too much for an author to resist. As soon as I spotted it, I determined to put one of my own up there. I chose A SUITE DEAL, the 2003 HOLT Medallion winner from the Virginia Romance Writers chapter of Romance Writers of America. It's a small book with a bright pink spine which I thought would attract prospective readers. I put it on the shelf, patted it for good luck, got my coffee and left.

The next week, I checked again. It was gone! Someone was reading it!

The next week, it was back. Did they return it unread? Did they enjoy it so much, they've put it there for others to enjoy also? I'll never know.

Over the weeks, the shelves have become full with all sorts of books. There's Nora Roberts and baby care. And squeezed in there is still mine.

I think I'll take another.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home