Monday, August 15, 2011

Wax paper

I grew up in a wax paper household. Mother seemed to use it for a myriad of things, foremost lining cake pans. I doubt she had ever heard of parchment paper.

My kitchen has both and I use parchment when a recipe calls for it. The differences in the products have often been lost on me, but can be found here. However interesting that is, the Reynolds site disputes the cake pan lining no-no, so I'm still safe as that's about all I use it for. As I don't make many layer cakes, a roll can last me a very long time.

How long, you might ask.

I came to the end of the wax paper roll yesterday. The box was coming apart, but the cutter-edge was still sharp. It was an old box though because there was a green Walmart sticker on it with the price of 54 cents.

Now, it's been a few years since Walmart, or anyone, has put price stickers on things. This box did have a UPC code. So today, I went to buy another box because one obviously doesn't know when one may need it, and besides, it should last me a decade.

Or maybe not. For starters, there's less of it in the new box, 75 sq. ft vs. the previous 100 sq. ft. As to the price, 54 cents doesn't cut it any more; it was $1.33. That's almost 2.5 times as much for 25% less, or .0054/sq ft vs. the new rate of .0177/sq ft.

Looks like I'll just have to gauge my usage.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home