Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Serendipity

I don't know how we even got on the topic but at dinner one night aboard Oceania Marina, our Mediterranean cruise ship in May, we began talking about books. Our tablemates that night included two widows, cousins, one Canadian, the other British. They cruised all the time, had their favorite restaurant onboard (where we were), and were having a fine time.

The one seated next to me said I simply had to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Because it was about the island of Guernsey during WWII and they were both British (sort of), I assumed it was an English novel. While I never thought to come upon it, I politely took out my iPhone and typed in the title.

So today, I have an appointment for my annual physical. This is not exactly one of the joys of being a woman, but it is what it is and it gets done. At my stage, and with the busyness of the doctor, it averages about every 15 months, and indeed my 2012 appointment is in November. But that's neither here nor there. Today, I had a 9:30 appointment, the doctor was still in surgery, and I was asked to come back at 11:30.

I took myself off to Goodwill. I usually find something amongst everyone else's castoffs and today was no different. Guess what I found in the book pile? Oh, yeah. I even pulled my phone out to make sure I had the right book. It's a 2009 Random House book and for $2, it's now in my TBR stack.

And it looks like a good read.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home