Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nothing's really changed

Yesterday I attended Little Gym with my grandchildren. Granted, while both of them were amused, Jack, at seven months, was content to sit on my lap, coo with the music, and watch the barely-contained chaos around him.

With at least 20 two-year-olds being "led" in song and dance, shaking bells, bouncing balls, and using pint-sized gymnastics equipment, there was a lot to be amused by. Heck, even I was amused and very glad to not be running around out there chasing my darling like one grandmother was. Camera in hand, I tried to get photos of Emily but I think the best I've done is a blur here or there. Finally, I settled with my back to the wall and just talked to Jack.

Then I thought, we didn't have anything like this 30-odd years ago. Ours rip-snorted about the house and yard without being taught how to do a forward roll or kick like a donkey. Were places like this even in existence in the Big City? Don't have a clue.

Forty-five minutes after calm exploded, it returned. It was time for everyone to wash their hands and find their shoes, kids and mommies alike. I stood in line behind a set of three young women, and while I found that some things have changed a great deal (the existence of places like Little Gym), some have not. They were giving considerable discussion as to where to have lunch.

Ahhh... my kind of moms!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home