Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Kitchen Linens Book

My younger son usually drops me an email about four days before an event (Mother's Day, Christmas, birthday) requesting what I want for said big day. Ten days before this Mother's Day I beat him to the punch by sending a list of three things I wanted, all easily purchased from Amazon. I received all of them about five days later.

One was an amazing book by EllynAnne Geisel called The Kitchen Linens Book. I had read about it somewhere, probably The Dallas Morning News. I collect kitchen linens which appeal to me: tablecloths from the 50s and 60s, bib aprons, dish towels with cute kittens. My specialty is Texas brag tablecloths, of which I have nearly 24 different designs/colors. Just when I think I have them all, another pops up on eBay.

I just finished reading The Kitchen Linens Book. It was a quick history of the linens, a compendium of the types of fabrics they were made from, how to care for them, and what to do with them when there are too many spots and stains for regular use. But the best part was the stories from friends (I suppose) of the author, telling special memories they had of kitchen linens and family. I wiped tears with a few of them. Page 125... it'll get you.

I couldn't stand to let this wonderful testimony to everyday and special living go immediately on my shelf, so I no sooner closed the covers, than I loaned it to a girlfriend who also loves linens. I can hardly wait for her call!

Thank you, EllynAnne.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home