Thursday, October 23, 2008

Just who's trapped here?

Following my last post, I set the trap to boot-scoot Mr. Raccoon out of my neighborhood and certainly off my roof. However, Sam the outside cat had different plans. I practically had to sweep him off the trap when I first set it and became so desperate for him to leave it alone that I gave him part of the bait, a can of premium cat food. I left him at bedtime on the patio chaise.

I found him at 6 Monday morning in the trap. He was waiting patiently for me to release him. This is a bad habit, Sam, I told him. Bad, bad cat.

So I glowered at him when I re-set it on Monday night. He didn't seem as inclined as before to climb right in. Soon, there wasn't room, as Mama cat, a secondary object in my trap-crosshairs, had found the cat food irresistible and put herself in. I felt bad to leave her in there all night, but I had a home for her the next morning with her kittens in a barn in the country. Needless to say, she scarcely said 'thank you' as I released her from the trap into the shelter and safety of a workshop. She shot to the back, hopefully following the trail of her kittens. Their new owner says he sees them at mealtime and they are doing well.

Having put that family back together, I'm still at odds with Mr. R. He didn't show up Tuesday night, but the cat's water was filthy this morning, so he's still moseying through. However, how can he be trapped when it's already so full?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home