Sunday, January 20, 2008

Need a recipe?

Many years ago, as a hostess gift, an overnight guest gave me a clear plastic file "box" for me to pitch recipes in. I gathered manila folders, marked each of them appropriately--beef, chicken, tried dessert, untried desserts, etc--and promptly started cutting out recipes to try. With the advent of the internet, I was able to expand my reach from newspaper clippings and jotted ingredient lists on paper napkins, of which I have more than a few. The file was bulging.

I know that for a fact because I spent one evening last week cleaning and sorting. I do this periodically, but not often enough, since the plastic was threatening to break as I'd stuffed it so full of hopefuls. It took over an hour and I found out a few things about myself and my view of cooking:

1. I'd had some of these for over 20 years and not made them yet. How sad is that? It was like seeing old friends you'd neglected. Forever. I felt guilty. I pitched most of them, but saved those I'd put in for presentation. I may need a fruit tree for a centerpiece at some time. You know, tiers of fruit. Or, the pineapple hollowed to be a sauce server. (You'd think I could think that one up myself.) Obviously not. I also kept the recipes I'd not tried but which I consider heritage: those in my mother's hand or typed ones from family friends. Maybe someday when I figure out what a number 13 can is again.

2. If a recipe has the term 'creme brulee' in yet, I'll cut it out. Whether it fits in with quick breads, yeast breads, or desserts, I'm a sucker for it. I ditched at least half of them.

3. Chocolate and orange in any combination. Half gone.

4. How many ways are there to grill shrimp? Three dozen if my count worked. 35 went into the trash. (I'm certain there'll be more opportunities as the summer magazines start coming out.)

5. The same can be said of beef tenderloin and prime rib roast. Kept the oldest and dearest of each.

6. How Restaurants Cook Your Steak. Saved them all until I have the nerve to spend the bucks to buy the 2-inch steak I have only to sear and roast. (I feel faint thinking about the waste. Maybe I could slice it for stir-fry if it were really bad.)

7. Boneless chicken thighs. Once exotic fare in small town Texas, they can be had at Wal-Mart and I have yet to buy a package.

But I kept the recipe if it added chocolate, orange, and creme brulee.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home