Thursday, January 03, 2008

HOV, anyone?

HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes would seem to be such a good idea. Two or more people in a car, (and there are others permitted but the sign is small and I'm trying to drive, for Pete's sake!) and off you go in your own special little lane with none of the worries of all those big trucks and three other lanes of traffic crowding in on you. In theory, it's great and I've been in some HOV lanes where one just wants to thumb one's nose at all those people driving by themselves and not going as fast as I am.

However (you knew it was coming), the new HOV lanes on Highway 75 north of Dallas leave a lot to be desired. They are "managed", which means that instead of a double white line to keep someone from sneaking in and out of the HOV, they are blocked by posts. These posts we've watched being erected for months, thinking we'd never see those darn lanes open. Now I have another definition of "managed": trapped.

I've had the opportunity to be in the HOV on a Saturday. Granted, that's not as high a traffic day as say, Friday, but it would do for the purposes of experimentation. In we popped at the first opportunity, heading south. Immediately, our speed limit was 60 while everyone over in freedom-land was doing 65. Or more. (I know, shame on them.) And there were little bits of debris in my managed lane. Where was I supposed to go to to avoid BIG debris? What if there were an accident in my managed lane? I'd be stuck.

One has to be in the HOV lanes on 75 for the long haul. No newbies to the area need apply. Once on, you have but one opportunity to get off before the end, that in north Plano. Granted, you have plenty of time to make it across the lanes to the George Bush Tollway. But if you stay (or get) on, you are whizzing through Richardson with no chance of leaving until I-635. Then it's a left exit and an up-and-over-and-down to find the rest of 75.

I was not impressed.

And it struck me, that I'd met very, very little traffic going north in the HOV. More on the shorter, Plano-Allen route, close to none on the longer stretch. So, heading north yesterday, I ascertained why.

Truth be told, I had heard on the news the day after it opened that there was a glitch in the signage. Like, it didn't exist. In order to get on the 8+-mile stretch, one has to exit right and then do a down-and-over to get to the HOV. No wonder no one--and I mean no one--was in it yesterday. I found a few in the easier to get on Plano-Allen piece. However, if you're going north and want to use the HOV and then exit to the George Bush, no dice. You're not allowed out until you are past the exit.

This is certainly a case for having to do your homework before you set out.

Like I said, I am underimpressed.

You are warned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home