Monday, August 04, 2008

Ah, August!

'Tis my favorite month: my birthday, my dad's (same day as mine), my sister's, my son's, my anniversary (and umpteen others I know). August is the only month without a major hurrah in it. No federal holiday, no religious holiday, just...

My birthday! This is the month where it pays off to have signed up for all those frequent dining and shopping clubs. I have clutches of coupons. Ten per cent off here, ten dollars off there. And all I have to do is go in. I think they're clever that way, 'cause I'm making my list and I'm going.

But August is sad too, at least sad for those of us who love early mornings. Even with daylight savings time, it's dark now when I get up, while for a glorious month or so in June and July, it wasn't. Perhaps it's to prepare us for the hibernation phase of late autumn and winter.

I'd rather have my daylight. I wonder if there's a coupon for that.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night" was one of my favorites in the 1970's. Today, I decided his "September Morn" will be my theme song for August 2008! I am delighted with the Daphne du Maurier article. I will be one of the first to buy Ms Picardie's new book, thank you for sharing this information with me.
Daphne was a mere shadow of herself when Clive and I visited her in 1987. It was magic to walk in her kitchen and have coffee sitting among her memories with huge portraits of her as a young girl along with portrait gifts from Prince Charles and photos of her beloved "Tommy" who broke her heart with his philandering. As we talked with the housekeeper, Daphne sat in the formal room, reading a newspaper even though her brilliant mind had already abandoned her. She was gracious in spite of all that with the encouragement of her devoted companion/housekeeper. I have several biographies with photos if you would like to look through them. Your blogs are beautiful - I am glad I found August on Sisker's Lair! Jo Hughes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home