Friday, July 11, 2008

All trapped out

Since the triumph of last Sunday morning, I have been on a trapping low. I've set my trap amidst the pear trees three nights. I've baited it with fruit and veggies (health food for the incarcerated) and waited. Nothing. Not even a heavy breeze to close the gate. Each morning I've found the goodies where I left them, the door up, and the trap empty.

So, who's eating my pears? They still litter the ground in half-eaten state.

Just to make sure this was not a figment of my imagination, I raked all the pears together yesterday morning and carried them to the compost pile. By early evening, there were more on the ground, some whole (they just fell off?) and some with heavy evidence of mealtime. Ah ha! Since pears don't practice cannibalism, someone was in those trees. But who? Raccoons don't appear in the daytime. Squirrels? Awfully big bites for squirrels.

Therefore, I set the trap again last night and... no takers.

I may have to close up shop and harvest before I want to in order to get any pears at all.

Outwitted. Again.

Don't tell my cats.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home