Sunday, October 18, 2009

What would you have done?

We went to the State Fair today. It was crowded and noisy and had great weather. It was also the last day and what we thought would be a stroll through the grounds turned into a typical State Fair day. We had overpriced food, oohed and aahed at the creative efforts which had earned ribbons, determined I could bake a loaf of bread which at least looked better than those being judged, and wandered through the automobile building which is where this blog begins.

I am innocently standing by a pillar between the women's and men's rooms, waiting for the spouse. He's getting an ice cream bar. I am standing there. By myself. Not bothering anyone. And a man with a little girl walks up. She's about 8 or 9 and I know what he's going to ask before the words are out of his mouth.

"Ma'am, will you be here a minute?"

"Yes." I'm waiting for Mr. Ice Cream.

"Will you watch her while I go to the men's room?"

He's in his 40s, I'd think. Average looking. Probably a professional. The little girl is dressed for the fair and looks like she's having a good time. Now I know he's bound to have been looking around and trying to find some middle-aged woman who looks completely trustworthy and harmless. That would be me. His daughter is too old to go to the men's with him and there's no family room in sight and I don't even know if that would suit his situation. But I also don't want the liability of looking after a stranger's child in a non-emergency situation. What if she won't stay with me after he's gone? What if...? What if...?

I turn him down, tell him I won't be responsible for someone else's child like that. I felt bad, but... I was honest. Shouldn't he have thought of all these possibilities before he brought her by himself?

I don't know what he did. And I was truly sorry. Had there been two of us women there, I think we would have agreed, a double back-up system. But... what would you have done?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home