Monday, April 20, 2009

Garden goals

As the weather warms--and finally seems bent on staying that way--the urge to get among the weeds and empty flower beds has driven me outside. I've replenished the front porch flower pots with the same things as last year because I liked them so well: gerber daisies and million bells. Under the pergola in the back I've hung multiple hanging baskets with bright pinks and yellows and scattered morning glory and cosmo seeds in the attempt to be surprised if they actually come up.

The climbing white rose is in full, fuller, fullest shattering white bloom and the knock-out roses are already knock-outs. I've placed three tomato plants where they were fairly (un)successful last year and noted that there are three tomato volunteers. Don't have a clue what they might be: if hybrid, do they revert back to a parent? Do they even bear? They are, however, safe from plucking.

It all sounds so rosy, doesn't it? But some time in the near future, I shall have to remember these halcyon first bloom days and remember that I'm actually setting goals this year.

1. We put in expensive landscape lighting. I have to keep everything trimmed around the lights, or, why have it. This means the lantana cannot be given free rein. As to the mint... chop, chop, chop!

2. Fertilize. It took over 30 minutes last year to run the hose with the Miracle-Gro attachment to everything just in the back yard. I have, ahem, more this year.

3. Weed patrol. Thirty minutes a day and I still wouldn't be out of the woods, but really, pull, pull, pull!

4. Know when to quit buying. I think about now.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home