Saturday, May 10, 2008

The blue Lauren towel

Six years ago, we renovated the house, including the boys' bathroom. As they were out of the home (whew!), we named it the guest bath and I proceeded to spruce the accouterments up to guest-level. This meant a towel re-do, with those not deemed worthy of guests, i.e., the vast majority, relegated to the rag box or the charity store. But there was one towel which, for some inexplicable reason, made the cut to stay in the new cabinet.

Perhaps six years ago, it wasn't as faded as it is now. Or, I knew the son who had owned it (yes, there was towel ownership) was still coming to stay a few nights. I can't remember. But the royal blue towel with the Ralph Lauren logo, was folded and put away.

Granted, it wasn't placed on the new towel pile. Those towels were fluffy and large and color-coordinated with new washcloths and hand towels. They had their own special place where a guest would see them immediately they opened the cabinet closest to the bath. The Lauren towel went behind the second door, with the secondary towels, the ones I'd grab if there were a water emergency in the bathroom. Quite serviceable for guests, but a good throwing on the floor wouldn't hurt their dignity.

So, why, given all this newness, even six years later, does the Lauren towel get picked to be used? I'll lay out the good towels on the counter, I'll arrange the beiges and tans for guest eye-appeal. And if said guest is a son, after the first towel is used, I'll find the Lauren one pulled from behind the other door and put to use. Quite frankly, they have to hunt for that towel--and they do!

I suppose I could do the unthinkable and remove it. It does not come close to coordinating with anything in the house. It should be tossed out on its worn-pile. But it has me too in its thrall and so it stays. I guess I just want to know how long it can last.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home