Saturday, November 26, 2011

Splitting the turkey

Turkey Two Ways was my answer to the turkey doldrums this year.

I saw this in the Williams-Sonoma catalog, all pretty turkey slices just looking good enough to eat right off the page. Curiosity got the better of me and I searched for the recipe online. I think maybe they didn't have the nerve to print it in the catalog because, well, it was strange.

Strange to me that is. But, I'm a convert now.

1. Buy a fresh turkey. I've never bought fresh before, mainly because I didn't think I could find them here, but my fav Big Box had them and I scooped one up earlier this week.

After the ease of prep, ie, not having to fight with frozen innards, I will buy fresh from now on.

2. Separate said turkey into breast, legs, thighs, wings and backbone.

3. Brine the breast and legs and thighs. Make stock from the wings and backbone.
Easy. I've brined our turkeys for years. Only way to go for wonderfully juicy meat.

4. Now here is where it gets strange. To me, that is. Take the dark pieces, put in a pot similar to a Dutch oven, COVER with canola oil, put the lid on, and bake for 4 hours at 300.

Say what? This method is called a confit. After an hour, the aroma made me want to dive right in. It was cooked in about 3 hours. Falling off the bone cooked. Set it on top of the stove.

5. Roast the breast at 375 the usual way. Took about 2 hours.

6. Back to the legs and thighs. Put them on a broiler pan and broil about 10 minutes, turn once, until crispy.

7. Carve and serve.

Absolutely wonderful.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home