Friday, October 12, 2007

Killing time at NorthPark

Highway construction being what it is (unpredictable and time-consuming), I left the house extra early this morning to make it to a Dallas appointment on time. I knew I'd be early, but as so often happens, when one does not need the gift of extra time, one gets it. Traffic flowed like hot syrup and I arrived at NorthPark Mall in Dallas 30 minutes before the stores opened. The mall, of course, was open for walkers and employees, so in I went.

Having taken care of the basics--ladies' room and a Starbucks--I pondered what to do next. Retail mall shopping became an in-and-out get-it-done proposition for me when I discovered antique malls, so I never take time in a mall. I do what I need to do and then go on to what is, to me, a more fun venue. But I still had 20 minutes.

The mall is decorated for autumn, of course, but this morning, I actually looked at it and admired. One display in particular drew my attention, a large (10' x 10'?) horizontal display/flower box layered from one side to the other with gourds, mini-pumpkins, and I think bromeliads. How clever! There were larger pumpkins around the trees, bright mums everywhere. And I walked and window-shopped, noted that I'd seen all these styles before, the baby doll dresses and bubble skirts. I hadn't worn them then... I wasn't going to start now.

So I had to slow down and smell the mums, so to speak, get out of the way of the mall speed-walkers, try not to gawk at the young moms who'd pushed their strollers into a corner and were doing group stretching exercises.

So I don't guess I was really killing time. I was just finding a new use for the gift of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home